Congratulations! You’ve decided that you want to install a metal roof on your Overland Park home, but what do you do after you’ve made that decision? What’s the next step? Maybe it’s choosing the color for your new metal roofs.
The perfect roof color matches your house and gives your curb appeal a boost. It can highlight your home’s architecture. And did you know that your roof color can also impact your energy bills? There’s plenty to consider, so let’s break down how you can decide on the right roof color for your Overland Park roof.
Basic Design Concepts for Metal Roofs
Here at Shamrock Roofing and Construction, we don’t think you need a design degree to understand everything that goes into picking the right metal roof color. There are a few simple things to keep in mind as you consider your options:
- Look at the metal roof material in natural light. Artificial lighting, such as the lighting found in a showroom, often tends to change the true colors of the materials you’re looking at. Colors tend to look different in bright light as opposed to cloud-covered gray days. A professional roofing company in Overland Park will make sure you have a chance to look at your new roof color in natural daylight before making your final decision.
- Create a harmonious picture. Examine all the elements of your home when deciding on a roof color. Some suggest only considering the roof and the siding, but we think you should go further than that. Look at any stone or wood facades, shutters, doors, decorative accents, and trim. Every part of your house needs to be considered.
- Don’t match too well. This might sound counterintuitive, but a roof that perfectly matches the color of your siding is a missed opportunity. Instead, consider going in the same color family but a darker variant. Or choose a color on the opposite side of the color spectrum for added impact. This slight difference really changes the way people view your home.
Important Aspects to Consider
There’s much more to consider when you’re ready to install a metal roof. Your roof color impacts other aspects besides color. Here are a few more factors to think about:
- Light color or dark color? The shading of the color you choose will play a significant role in how your home looks. Choosing a darker roof helps balance the look of a house that has multiple levels, while those same shingles on a single-level home may make the home look smaller. Light shingles, on the other hand, help your roof blend in.
- Energy efficiency. Lighter and darker colors also impact how much energy it will take to cool your home. A lighter color reflects sunlight, keeping your house cooler. This means your AC won’t have to work as hard to keep your home cool.
- HOA rules. Before you get too attached to a specific roof color, check your HOA guidelines. Depending on your HOA rules, you may have to limit your color to one of several pre-chosen options. Every neighborhood is different. A good roofing company in Overland Park will know how to guide you through this.
Make Shamrock Roofing Your Choice to Install a Metal Roof
Ultimately, you want to make an impact with the color of your roof. Shamrock Roofing and Construction has been helping Overland Park residents choose roof colors, materials, and styles for more than 40 years. We can help you, too. Contact us today for more information on metal roofing. We’ll help you create a new look that your neighbors will envy!