Lee’s summit was started in the year 1865 when William. B. Howard donated the cemetery spread in an area of 2 acres. The oldest addition to the cemetery was later called as the Lee’s Summit. All over the area, there were several cemeteries of families before this cemetery. In 1875 and in the month May a second edition of the cemetery was added and then a 3rd addition was added in April In December 1889 Mrs William B Howard sold an extra two acres This was followed by the addition of another two acres in April 1907, then in September 1915 Sidewalks were constructed in the cemetery. Later in the year, 1931 roads were laid. The original sign made of wrought iron was put in place. It is situated at the south-east corner of the cemetery. The sign is dated back to 1860 and was once the entrance of the cemetery.
Thomas Coleman Younger was the most notable person that interred at the LSHC. He is more commonly known as Cole Younger. Born in Lee’s Summit Cole younger killed his 1st man when he served as the confederate soldier during the border skirmish in the civil war. The end of the civil war was in 1865 when Cole younger was 21. And he came back home to help his ill mother and His siblings. Cole had three brothers named Jim, John and Bob all were part of the James gang were living the life of outlaws. This led them to serve a sentence of 25 years in the Minnesota State prison.
There are a lot of others who made it to the LSHC as they are buried there. Others whose families were unable to afford a space there are buried at the potter’s field. At present, there are 20,000 graves installed in an area of 20 acres.