Shamrock Roofing, trusted for commercial roofing in Kansas City, MO, specializes in residential and commercial roofing in Kansas City and Roofing the mid 5 state region as commercial roofing contractors in Kansas City, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Colorado and Oklahoma. Below are some facts about the history of Commercial roofs in the Kansas / Missouri Midwest from your trusted residential and commercial roofing company in Kansas City. In addition to the types of roofs, the pros, and cons of each type of roofs. We strive to educate our clients on our process for low slope and commercial flat roof repair in Kansas City and a new roof construction alike.
MOST COMMON QUESTION:
“Should We Tear Off & Replace Or Re-Roof?”
Tear Off/Replace Considerations:
– Two or more existing roofs (building code restriction); or structural weight limitations
– More than 25% of the existing roof area is wet
– Flashing/curb height limitations (8” minimum)
– Need to maximize long-term performance
– Improving energy savings
– The existing roof at the end of its service life
Re-Roof (Re-cover) Considerations:
– Need to minimize costs
– Disposal restrictions
– Difficult access to the roof
– No more than one existing roof
– No structural weight limitations; failures
– No hidden moisture in the existing roof
– Flashing/curb heights exceed code (8”)
As the best commercial roofer in Kansas City, when considering having a commercial roof repaired or replaced there is a lot of variables. One of the first things we come to look at commercial roofs in Kansas City is if the roof is ponding water. The second thing we do is to take a core sample test to identify how many layers are on the roof and identify what the decking is made of.
The first thing we look for is Ponding Water
The second thing we do is take a Core Sample Test
POPULAR COMMERCIAL ROOF TYPES IN KANSAS CITY
– TPO –
TPO roofs are made of a blend of polypropylene (PP) and ethylene-propylene rubber (EPR) Polymers offer excellent low-temperature flexibility. TPO currently has the most stringent ASTM minimal requirement standards in the marketplace. TPO larger sheet sizes reduce seam footage by up to 50%. They are available in 45, 60, 72, 80 & 90 mils. It is now the most preferred roofing membrane in the United States, holding a 38% market share. TPO is the most stable of all the single ply’s membranes according to a 7-year study by MRCA.
• Does not contain environmentally hazardous chlorine
• Safe green product. 100% recyclable.
• Reinforced TPO 5x the tear strength of EPDM
• Reinforced TPO 2x the tear strength of PVC
• Excellent reflectivity which saves energy costs
• Strongest seams – 8x stronger than adhesive
• Formulations continue to evolve and change
• Less fire resistant than EPDM or PVC
• Multiple generations being sold on the market
• Quality can vary between manufacturers
• Repairs more difficult
• Improperly welded seams might come loose
– EPDM –
EPDM, or the Rubber Roof, is an extremely durable thermoset synthetic rubber singly ply membrane. EPDM’s synthetic rubber is derived from oil and natural gas and is available unreinforced and reinforced. EPDM seams are completed with tape and/or adhesive no heat welds. There have been over 1 billion square feet installed annually in the United States. EPDM is typically available in 45, 60, 75, and 90 mil.
• Dependable, durable, and versatile
• Excellent resistance to damage from UV sunlight
• Resistant to scuff and tears
• Easy to fix/patch tears and leaks
• Relatively lightweight
• Remains flexible at extremely cold temperatures
• Reduction in heating costs during winter months
• Standard black absorbs heat – not good in hot climates
• Seams will require eventual maintenance to keep intact
• More vulnerable to punctures, oils, and grease
• Can be more expensive than TPO, BUR, or modified
• Can shrink up to 5%
• Not inherently fire resistant
• Weaker seams than PVC or TPO
– PVC –
PVC is a single ply thermoplastic membrane containing PVC resins, stabilizers pigments, fillers, and plasticizers. PVC utilizes a reinforcement polyester scrim between the membrane for excellent tear resistance. PVC is a very good option for restaurants, airports, and facilities with grease, oil, and chemical concerns. There are 4 types of PVC under ASTM 4434 with type IV having the thickest reinforcing fabrics. PVC is available in 40, 50, 60, 72, and 80 mil thicknesses and up to 100 Ft long and 12 foot wide.
• Naturally fire retardant
• Heat weldable seams-as strong as TPO
• Solid puncture resistance-better than EPDM
• Known for its heat weldable seams
• Saves energy costs
• Strong resistance to chemicals and grease
• Shrinks more than TPO; pulling seams
• May get brittle over time
• Least hail resistant of single-ply roofs
• Most expensive of all single-ply roofs
• Not recommended over asphalt based systems
• Toxic fumes emitted if burned
– MOD BIT –
MOD BIT is a multi-ply smooth, foil or granular coated membrane developed to replace built-up roofing. MOD BIT is ‘modified’ with SBS – “elastomeric rubber asphalt” or APP – “plastic asphalt” modifiers. APP is typically applied with a torch and SBS is typically applied with hot asphalt or cold adhesive. APP stands up better to sunlight and foot traffic but is less flexible and more brittle than SBS. SBS is more popular in colder climates and APP is more common in warmer climates.
• Redundancy reduces the chance of error
• Surface leaks are easier to find and repair
• APP surface doesn’t require a coating for UV
• Withstands penetrations
• APP has a higher softening point
• Prone to blisters, cracking, granule loss
• Seam failures – improper torch or adhesive
• Shrinking of the base mats
• Poor performance in water ponding situations
• Coatings required on non-granule SBS Mod BIT
Live in the KC area and looking for a trusted commercial roofing company in Kansas City that you can depend on? Look no further because here at Shamrock we pride ourselves with not only the best work around but also the best customer service that you will find from any roofing company here in Kansas City. Whether your industrial or commercial roof is in need of preventative maintenance, damage inspections, repair, replacement, or maybe you need a brand new roof installed on your new industrial building, not to worry because we have got you covered.
Read below to see the services that Shamrock roofing offers here in Kansas City Missouri.
Our Commercial Roofing Services in KC:
- Commercial roof repair
- Emergency roof repairs
- New commercial roof construction
- Flat roof repair
Are you starting to notice little things with your commercial roof that you think may be a red flag? Whether it be increased HVAC cost, or maybe just some dings and dents on your roof, whatever it may be, its probably a good idea to have a Shamrock roof specialist come out and take a look. Here are some tell tall signs that your commercial roof needs repaired:
- Increased HVAC cost
- Standing puddles of water on your roof
- Water leaks
- Air leaks
- Wind noise
- Worn out roofing materials
- Holes in the roofing material
These are the most common signs your roof needs repair and is a good idea to contact shamrock roofing today to make sure that your commercial roof gets fixed before it needs replaced!
Kansas City suffers many storms throughout the year and roof damage is inevitable. Sometimes you can need an emergency roof repair because of a harsh storm that caused so much damage to your roof. With the storms that are unique to this part of country, your roof will be susceptible to roof repair and sometimes it can be an emergency.
Causes of Emergency Roof Repair in Kansas City
If you’re wondering what can cause so much damage to your roof that it could be an emergency here’s a list of a few items that could create an emergency roof repair:
- Damage Caused by Hailstorms.
- Strong Winds From Storms Can Cause Wind Damage.
- Strong Rain That Lasts an Extended Period of Time.
- If Your Roof Has Gone A Long Time Without Maintenance.
Has any of those happened recently to your home? If so, it could be a reason we should come to your house for a free inspection. Otherwise, the next storm could cause an emergency roof repair situation.
Have you just built your brand new commercial building here in Kansas City and now you are looking for a trusted Kansas City commercial roofing company to help you with your roofing needs?
The good news is, you are at the right place, becuase here are shamrock roofing we experts in installing new commercial roofs for both commercial and larger industrial sized buildings. We have hundreds of reviews from happy customers that we are proud to showcase to new customers.
Call us today if you want the best price and the best work done on your new commercial roof.
Yes, getting your commercial roof replaced is definitely not anyone’s most favorite past time because it can be a stressful and time consuming task to try and find the right roofing company who will do the best job at the best price.
Well the good news is, shamrock roofing is the best commercial roof replacement company in all of Kansas City area, with hundreds of reviews to back it up! Here at Shamrock we specialize in replacing commercial roofs on both medium and large size buildings here in Kansas City. If you need your industrial or commercial roof replaced, give us a call today and schedule your free inspection with one of our roofing experts.
Looking to give your commercial building a refresh or maybe your roof is just simply getting old and is showing its age and is in need of a restore.
Well I for one can tell you, that this is probably a good idea, because if you go too long without resorting your commercial roof you could be looking at costly repair or even total roof replacement cost and this is definitely not something that you want to be doing.
If it’s time to get your comical roof restore give us a call today and schedule an inspection with one of your roofing experts.
Here at Shamrock roofing, we take pride in the work we do, and strive to give our customers the best commercial roof that they can possibly have. But even the best of roofing jobs still require maintenance. All commercial roofs should and must be inspected at least once a year to ensure that no damages have happened and to keep holes patched, water leaks fixed and any other preventative measures are taken care of.
Call us today to schedule an appointment with one of our roofing professionals to ensure your commercial roof is being maintained.
Roof inspections… should I get one done, or maybe I should wait till next year?
Stop that thought right there, commercial roofing inspections are going to be the single most important preventative measure you can take if you are wanting to save your wallet from becoming extremely skinny.
Roof inspections, especially for commercial roofs, are very important as they can spot early damages that could have potentially cost you much more if you decided to wait and not get those damages repaired.
Call us today an schedule your commercial roofing inspection.. before it’s too late.